A WordPress site that has been hosted by a reliable provider will load quickly and perform well in search engine results. However, there is a lot more that goes into it, such as the keywords you use on your product pages and blog posts, the size of your picture files, and the legibility of your text. Many WordPress SEO plugins simplify this process.
There are also several external SEO tools available, which may be used to get robust statistics, keyword ranks, and backlink data.
Even for seasoned webmasters, SEO may be a minefield. It’s not simple for most website owners to find posts and pages with high potential, correct broken links, reorganize site structure, or do a comprehensive SEO audit. However, you will be well on your way to search engine success once you have the appropriate tools and the skills to execute those techniques.
Let’s get going!
Table of contents
- Do Plugins Help SEO?
- Top WordPress SEO Plugins
- 1. Yoast SEO
- 2. The SEO Framework
- 3. SEOPress
- 4. Rank Math
- 5. SEO Squirrly
- 6. Broken Link Checker
- 7. Rel NoFollow Checkbox
- 8. All in One Schema Rich Snippets
- 9. WordLift
- 10. Redirection
- 11. Slim SEO
- 12. Internal Link Juicer
- 13. XML Sitemaps
- 14. WordPress with AMP Schema and Structured Data
- Use These Powerful Resources to Promote Your Company
Do Plugins Help SEO?
You can use on-page SEO optimization strategies like meta titles and meta descriptions with the help of an SEO plugin, even if you don’t know how to code.
You may increase your organic traffic and other SEO metrics with the aid of these plugins if you apply them properly.
These plugins are useful for increasing traffic and sales since they improve a WordPress website’s SEO for Google and other search engines.
Sitemaps, audit checklists, and insights into your content are just a few of the features and tools available in SEO plugins.
Some add-ons can prevent you from overusing specific keywords and provide suggestions to enhance your content’s readability.
A plugin can be invaluable when you’re just starting out in search engine optimization.
What to look for in an SEO plugin or tool for WordPress
There are a few essential features to look for in an SEO tool and plugin for WordPress:
1. You can use it since it’s suitable for your purposes.
This may sound like a no-brainer, but hear me out. Tools and plugins address many facets of search engine optimization. There are plugins that work seamlessly with WordPress to simplify on-page optimization. Some people like to devote their time to investigating and examining. Others serve specialized purposes, such as creating redirects or connections.
Spend some time refining your search criteria so you can locate an appropriate resource. Of course, this may need picking many.
2. It’s always being revised
Your chosen tool has to be periodically updated to keep up with Google’s ever-evolving algorithm. And if it’s a plugin for WordPress, the creators should make sure it’s compatible with the most recent release.
3. It offers detailed advice on how to enhance your performance.
Whether the tool you use integrates with the WordPress dashboard or is accessed independently, it should provide you actionable advice to improve your site’s performance. Your content, keywords, and search engine results should inform those recommendations as much as feasible.
There are, of course, notable outliers. A tool that specializes in a single feature, like one that allows users to create redirects, would not require this.
4. It only uses ethical, legal methods.
You should stay away from “black hat” SEO strategies, as well as any tools or plugins that advocate for or implement them. Always act ethically and stay away from spammy SEO techniques like hidden links and keyword stuffing.
5. It is informative.
The more information a tool offers, the better it is for keyword research and tracking search engine rankings. Consider factors including search volume, amount of competition, and user intent when deciding on successful keywords. It’s crucial to know where your website sits in the rankings, and being able to obtain regular updates on that is a huge help.
6. In other words, it’s just right for your degree of expertise.
If you’re just starting out, it’s best to use a program that doesn’t need you to change any code but yet provides comprehensive documentation. And the more that can be done with robots, the better! A professional SEO could, however, want a system that gives them control over more advanced optimization settings.
Top WordPress SEO Plugins
We’ll begin with a discussion of WordPress search engine optimization plugins. These are typically less complicated to set up, and several plugins extending their functionality are available. When editing a page or post, the best plugins will provide SEO forecasts and suggestions. Other plugins may be less robust. Still, they offer advantages that no one else does, such as the ability to scan for broken connections or reduce image size.
The short list of suggestions is displayed, but for more information on the top SEO WordPress plugins, we encourage you to read the reviews we’ve written.
1. Yoast SEO
The WordPress SEO plugin Yoast SEO is unrivaled. It’s the standard format for blogs like this one. Yoast continues to surprise the WordPress community with outstanding improvements, a gorgeous design, and the easiest-to-use choice for making your blog articles and product pages stand out, earning it a whopping 16,700 5-star ratings at the time of this writing.
Yoast SEO also has its own website where users may access premium support options, interact with a lively community on the forum, read an educational blog, and enroll in SEO courses appropriate for users at all levels.
There’s also a premium version of Yoast SEO available there, with added features like keyword optimization for up to five keywords per page, social media previewing (for platforms like Twitter and Facebook), and internal link suggestions. Remember that this is just a taste of the premium options available.
At just $89 per installation, the premium plugin is an attractive investment for any website owner. The free plugin nevertheless provides a significant advantage over competing SEO WordPress plugins, making it a worthwhile option for people on a tighter budget.
Yoast SEO’s Standout Functions:
- Simply enter some keywords and see how effectively your pages and articles are optimized for those keywords.
- Check out the final version of your Google search before you submit it. Make the meta description and title more engaging and keyword-rich using this.
- All pages undergo a readability analysis to see if they need to be broken up into paragraphs or if other components, such as numbered lists or headings, should be included.
- The plugin can identify duplicate text in a post or page.
- When it comes to plugin developers, Yoast offers some of the greatest information and assistance we’ve ever encountered.
- The plugin is also updated every two weeks.
- The premium plugin comes with a built-in redirect manager, free support, content insights, and a backend that is free of ads.
2. The SEO Framework
Those looking for a quick, lightweight, ad-free SEO plugin for WordPress will find everything they need in SEO Framework. It eliminates extra features you don’t need and caters to individuals who care most about site performance and would rather not waste time deciphering SEO guides. In comparison to Yoast, it is typically seen as superior. This is mostly attributable to the visible SEO scores and increased versatility in selecting target keywords (including misspellings and synonyms).
There are a few tabs you can use to adjust the post’s SEO settings, and one of them has a color scale to demonstrate how close you are to getting your content search engine ready. Unlike with some of the more crowded versions of Yoast, the scale makes it immediately clear where you need to put in some work for your SEO.
The straightforward interface is ideal for newcomers, as you might expect. The application programming interface is available for experts to experiment with as well. The plugin was originally developed as a collaborative effort inside the WPMUDEV community before being made available to the public at large at no cost. The SEO Framework plugin covers all bases and may be expanded for more sophisticated features with add-ons.
Advantages of Using the SEO Framework:
- The SEO framework does not attempt to make a purchase with you. It’s comparable to Yoast in terms of the essential functionality it provides, but you won’t have to shell out extra money for expensive add-ons or extensions.
- If you want to see if your content will do well on Google, you may utilize the visual, colored meter/scale.
- It comes with a local SEO add-on for businesses who need to manage and provide relevant local data.
- The comment spam add-on eliminates the need for any other plugins.
- There is little configuration required after plugin installation because most SEO parameters are predefined.
- Because Google treats synonyms in search engine results as equivalent, The SEO Framework emphasizes the focus subject instead of a focus keyword to promote more natural writing.
SEOPress is a premium WordPress plugin that is available for free. Even the free version is 100% white-labeled and leaves no trace. Easily modify the titles and meta descriptions of your posts, pages, post kinds, and phrases without any coding knowledge.
Build sitemaps in XML and HTML, implement Google Analytics (now GDPR-compliant), and fine-tune your social media sharing tags (Open Graph and Twitter Cards). Webmasters may use the free version’s content analysis tools to improve their writing. More than seventy-five hooks are available to developers for configuring the plugin.
The premium edition has more features and more use, including:
- Regional web optimization.
- Search engine friendly and user friendly breadcrumbs.
- Improvements made to both WooCommerce and Easy Digital Downloads.
- XML sitemaps for video and Google News.
- Google’s schemas.org support the following types of structured data: product, article, event, local business, recipe, review, frequently asked questions, course, and video.
- Majestic API integration resulting in backlinks.
- You may rapidly evaluate the quality of your pages with the newly integrated Google Page Speed v5.
- Monitoring 404 errors and rerouting traffic.
- WordPress dashboard Google Analytics data.
The Reasons Why SEOPress Is a Good Option:
- There will be no advertisements, and the meta box your editors see will make no mention of SEOPress. The same applies to the control panel.
- In a matter of minutes, you can have Google Analytics tracking up and running on your site. You can track PDF, DOCX, XLSX, downloads, IP Anonymization, cross-domain tracking, and more without having to worry about tracking the wrong people.
- Easy-to-use open graph data with Twitter meta tags.
4. Rank Math
When it comes to SEO plugins for WordPress, Rank Math SEO is the Swiss army knife. Complete on-page SEO management is at your fingertips. Rank Math is an SEO plugin for WordPress that consolidates the functionality of several separate plugins into a single, manageable package.
Posts, pages, goods, and other taxonomies may all have their on-site optimization handled by Rank Math. The noindex, nofollow, and noarchive meta tags can be set for an entire taxonomy or for individual posts and pages.
It interacts seamlessly with Google Search Console to deliver crucial data in your WordPress dashboard. At a glance, you can see data like the number of search impressions your site is receiving, the kind of faults Google has found on it, the keywords for which it is ranking well, and so on.
Rank Math also includes a built-in 404 Monitor, Redirections, Rich Snippets, Local SEO, XML Sitemaps, Automated Image SEO, advice for Internal Link Building, and more.
Some of Rank Math’s Best Attributes:
- It’s everything you’d ever want in an SEO tool and more.
- Each article, webpage, and item is put through a 40-factor SEO analysis tool.
- The design is minimalistic and straightforward, making it easy to use.
- It allows you to automatically add alt and title tags to photos that don’t already have them.
- The error pages that users encounter may be tracked with the 404 monitor in Rank Math.
- A 404 error may be redirected to a more helpful page on your site with the help of the Redirection module.
- Rank Math includes the XML Sitemap module and will ping search engines when new content is added or existing content is updated.
- Article, Product, Recipe, Event, Video, Local Business, and the other 5 available Rich Snippets are supported.
- You won’t even need a separate plugin to generate breadcrumbs, as they come included with this one.
- Included is the ability to use Open Graph and Twitter Cards.
5. SEO Squirrly
The target audience for SEO Squirrly isn’t comprised of SEO professionals. It delivers on its promise by providing a comprehensive SEO toolkit with no bloated extras. When compared to the other SEO plugins we’ve discussed, SEO Squirrly provides SEO suggestions in a unique way. To get started, just enter a topic into the box provided. After entering the target term, you’ll see a sequence of green lights appear as you continue to compose your text. It’s almost as if an authority figure is sitting next to you and giving you advice while you write.
Some of SEO Squirrly’s Best Attributes:
- As you write the post, you optimize it for certain keywords. Unlike Yoast, where you often have to save the article before seeing suggestions and results, this doesn’t need you to do anything.
- If you’re replacing another WordPress SEO plugin with Squirrly, your current settings will remain intact.
- You can find out how to best the competition using a program that does just that.
- You may share content reports created in Squirrly with colleagues. After completing an article, you may provide the writer with a resource regarding search engine optimization (SEO), for instance.
- You will receive weekly progress reports, as well as access to a useful tool that will display the most current tweets related to your themes. This will provide you ideas for what to write about and how to make your writing stronger.
6. Broken Link Checker
Search engine optimization (SEO) is more than just stuffing a bunch of keywords into your content. Making your material easy to read is only part of the battle. Getting a leg up on the competition might be as simple as fixing your site’s broken links. Google considers a link that doesn’t work (i.e., one that redirects to a 404 page) to be providing a poor user experience. After all, no one wants to click through to a blank website.
The only catch is that it may take you days to wade through everything you’ve written to find every broken connection. Get ready to use the Broken Link Checker.
This handy tool will sift through your blog entries and webpages for you. Within minutes, you will see any and all broken links. The relevant links have already been entered into the list, so you may either entirely eliminate them or replace them with more suitable references. The plugin will continue to check for broken links if you let it run in the background.
Once the broken links have been fixed, the report will be blank, showing Google that your site is well maintained.
We strongly advise turning on the plugin’s continual scanning capability, correcting all of your broken links in bulk, and then turning off the plugin. In this way, you can rest assured that it won’t slow down your website.
Advantages of Using a Broken Link Checker:
- You may fix the broken link without ever visiting the article or page. The plugin’s main page is where you’ll make any changes to the links.
- A link search and filtering feature is included in the WordPress SEO plugin.
- It’s not just for detecting dead links in articles. The plugin can watch over more than just comments and custom fields.
- We also check for things like missing graphics and redirects—basically anything that may throw off a reader or make Google view your site less favorably.
- Optionally, you can stop search engines from following your broken links.
7. Rel NoFollow Checkbox
It’s crucial to keep in mind that Google places value on the connections you provide to other pages and websites. The search engine is interested in the quality of both the links leading to and from your site. The reason for this is that Google will penalize your site’s ranking if it has several connections to spammy websites. Those of you who use affiliate links will find this plugin indispensable.
The “rel nofollow” tag should be included to all outbound links to prevent them from negatively impacting search engine results. In this approach, the link won’t hurt the other site’s SEO. In a nutshell, it discourages marketers that rely on such links to rank well.
Adding “rel nofollow” tags to all of the links in your article can be a pain in the rear. With the help of the Rel NoFollow Checkbox plugin, however, WordPress users have an additional option to select when making links.
In addition to the “Open a link in a new window/tab” checkbox, the “rel nofollow” option may be found just below it, saving you time while navigating the HTML.
Reasons Why the Rel Nofollow Checkbox Is a Good Option:
- Your site’s speed won’t be affected because of its minimal weight.
- To improve your SEO, you can add a few lines of code and a few links without having to spend a ton of time poring into HTML.
- Non-programmers may complete the task with significantly less difficulty.
- Affiliates will find this plugin to be ideal.
- The setup process shouldn’t take more than two minutes, and no more configuration is required.
- Quickly scanning guest posts or articles created by your authors will help you detect any unapproved attempts at advertising.
- A free plugin like Pretty Links’s link shortener may apply the nofollow attribute to your links automatically, which is useful if you’re an affiliate marketer.
8. All in One Schema Rich Snippets
Search results that include rich snippets, like star ratings, photos, and other visual features, may be more likely to attract a user’s attention. E-commerce product page results and blog post reviews are two common places where rich snippets are employed. Rich snippets are popular with Google because they provide useful information without being too obtrusive.
The All in One Schema Rich Snippets plugin is useful since WordPress does not have a native way to provide rich snippets.
With this add-on, your search engine results will only show you the most relevant information. In addition, viewers may view media, ratings, and authors’ graphical representations.
Advantages of Using All-in-One Schema Rich Snippets
- Google searches offer a more aesthetically pleasing layout to its consumers. This is a win-win for both Google and the people.
- Events, reviews, people, goods, recipes, and videos are just some of the content kinds that may be used with this plugin. A recipe, for instance, may include a star rating, the total number of reviews, and a picture of the finished dish.
- Your search results are optimized for Facebook sharing, with all the necessary data pre-computed.
- We suggest the free Schema plugin if you don’t have any reviews on your site and are just looking for a lighter plugin.
WordLift is an artificial intelligence (AI) powered WordPress plugin that puts powerful SEO tools in the hands of content editors and marketers. This plugin streamlines content organization and structured data markup so you can take advantage of Google Search Engine Result Page (SERP) capabilities. WordLift further facilitates content discovery by including contextual information, suggestion widgets, and internal linkages. Pricing begins at €59 ($65) per month.
Your organic traffic may be better understood by search engine crawlers, chatbots, and PDAs like Google Assistant, Siri, and Alexa if you take use of this plugin and translate your articles and pages into machine-friendly material.
WordLift’s Outstanding Functions:
- Automates the process of marking up structured linked data using natural language processing and knowledge graphs.
- Includes WooRank’s analytics tools for monitoring content performance and tailored recommendations for improving your site’s performance.
- Connects to Google’s analytics platform.
- Airbnb, Amazon Audible, Greenpeace, Merck Group, and TheNextWeb are just a few of the companies that have used this plugin.
One of the most important aspects of SEO now is redirects. A 301 redirect is what you need to implement if you wish to send visitors from a page that no longer exists to a different URL. Using a 301 redirect, you may signal to search engines that they should no longer use the old URL and instead focus on the new one.
With Redirection’s intuitive URL manager, you can easily set up 301 redirects. Redirects can be complicated to install without the plugin since new entries must be added to the .htaccess file by hand.
The plugin also has a mechanism to allow for “conditional” redirection to be set up. As a result, you may set up conditional reroutes that take into account factors like the user’s current session, the browser they’re using, their IP address, and more. The nicest feature about this conditional approach is how easy it is to set up permanent 404 page redirection.
The Reasons Why Redirection Is a Good Option:
- When compared to manually setting 301 redirects, redirection simplifies the process.
- The plugin has an integrated conditional redirection mechanism that can take into account user authentication, current page, current user, current IP address, and more.
- It keeps track of every 301 redirect on your domain.
- WordPress allows you to monitor 404 errors.
- Altering your website’s permalink structure is also an option.
11. Slim SEO
The learning curve for most WordPress SEO plugins is steep because of all the customization possibilities they provide. That’s not inherently a negative thing, but you might prefer a tool that doesn’t need too much tweaking if that’s not your style.
The main selling feature of Slim SEO is that it can produce meta tags, sitemaps, schema markup, and redirects automatically. Open Graph meta tags and other settings for social media sharing are also simplified by the plugin.
In addition, Slim SEO allows you to include unique code into the page’s header and footer. This works wonderfully with tracking tools like Google Analytics or similar programs.
Slim SEO does not have the same on-page analysis features as other plugins like Yoast SEO or Rankmath. Only those who are confident in their ability to do optimizations without a reference manual should consider this plugin.
The Reasons Why Slim SEO Is the Best Option:
- With Slim SEO, you can have meta tags, sitemaps, and schema markup added to your pages and posts mechanically.
- The plugin may be used to configure author page redirects.
- When people share your material on social media, you may customize it using this plugin.
- It’s quite simple to set up, and the defaults should work fine for the vast majority of people.
12. Internal Link Juicer
One of the most important aspects of outstanding search engine optimization is internal linking. If you want people to spend more time on your site, you need to make it easy for them to go to other parts of your site. The issue is that it might get difficult to decide which posts to link to as your content library expands. Internal Link Juicer is where it’s at.
With this plugin, you may designate certain anchor keywords for each post, and the plugin will automatically insert connections to relevant articles inside your site. The plugin’s link count per post may be adjusted, and material can be blocked entirely from being linked to. You may also view data on the effectiveness of these internal connections.
Once you’ve allowed Internal Link Juicer do its magic on your posts, you can go back and look for any extra places to insert links. The plugin is helpful, but it can’t replace in-depth knowledge of the material, but it will save you time.
Internal Link Juicer’s Standout Functions:
- Create a list of keywords to use as anchor text for all of your posts.
- When activated, the plugin will use the keywords you choose to generate internal links inside each post.
- The plugin’s link count per post and linkable/unlinkable material may both be adjusted in the settings.
- Access data on your organization’s internal links.
13. XML Sitemaps
There are a number of all-inclusive SEO plugins for WordPress that can generate XML sitemaps for you. But let’s say you have no intention of employing any such technology and believe you can optimize your content on your own. A sitemap-generating plugin will still be useful in this situation.
The XML Sitemaps add-on just has to be plugged in. After installing and activating the plugin, you can choose to have it send regular updates to search engines. You may also generate an HTML sitemap if you want.
In addition to these default configurations, the plugin will build a comprehensive sitemap without any more input from you. Sitemap submission to Google Webmaster Tools and other search engine webmaster tools is optional but recommended.
The Reasons Why XML Sitemaps Are the Best Option:
- Website XML sitemaps are created mechanically.
- It alerts search engines whenever your site is updated.
- The robots.txt file will now include the address of your sitemaps.
14. WordPress with AMP Schema and Structured Data
Marking up your material using schema.org tags may drastically improve its performance in search engine results. Rich snippets are what you see when search results go beyond simple meta descriptions to include things like photos, user reviews, and pricing.
Including schema markup in your content is necessary for rich snippets to be shown. However, there are many different kinds of schemas, and they all serve different functions. Schema & Structured Data for WP & AMP provides guidance on which schema to use for which content types.
The plugin has a built-in capability to identify the content type and apply the appropriate schema. Manual selection is also an option; over 35 different schema types are available, covering anything from blog entries and news articles to recipes and product pages.
Schema and Structured Data for WP & AMP allows you to select which content will and will not be marked up with schema markup. You may switch to this plugin without having to rebuild the schema for your entire website because it supports importing data from other schema markup tools.
Benefits of Using Schema and Structured Data with WordPress and AMP
- There are over 35 content kinds that the plugin can automatically schematize for you.
- Schema markup for individual blog entries and web pages may be specified individually.
- The plugin’s settings allow users to prevent some material from being given a schema.
- Data from other well-known WordPress schema markup plugins can be imported.
Use These Powerful Resources to Promote Your Company
These plugins will help you manage your website and expand your online presence more effectively. We really hope that this post was useful to you in your quest to find the top plugins for WordPress.